Boy Scouts of America
1150 First St.
Camp WenteSunday, July 23, 2017
We hope you will be joining us for this great camp!
Last Minute Reminders and Notes
Travel To and From Wente
Drivers: You should have all received an email with drivers listed. You can see the list under the members only tab. Please connect with your driving regarding transporting gear. Will all the gear fit in the driver’s vehicle? Do you need to drop off gear the day before departure in order to allow time for packing?
Departure Time: We will meet on Sunday, July 23th in the back parking lot beside Safeway and behind the bank. Please do not park beside the bank because we tend to block traffic there. We will meet at 7:30 AM for a 8:00 AM departure (sharp!).
Lunch: Please bring a bag lunch. They do not serve lunch at Wente and we will not be stopping for lunch on the way. Each scout is responsible for bringing their own.
Gas Money: It would be courteous to provide your driver with some gas money to help cover the expense of driving ($10).
Letters from Home: Please write a letter for your son and put it in an envelope with his name on it. Hand it to the driver or another adult attending camp. We will hand these out during the week (probably on Wednesday or Thursday)
Contact Person: We will have a designated contact person in Benicia who will receive contact from us when we arrive at camp, leave camp, etc. That person will, in turn contact you with this information.
Return Time: You will receive an email when we are leaving camp (some time after breakfast) and again when we hit highway 37 (approx 30 minutes away). Pick-up will be in the same parking lot. We are doing this rather than dropping kids off at houses because sometimes the gear doesn't travel in the same vehicle as the person which causes a logistical problem. We will arrive home mid-day.
Information Required From You
1. Dietary Restrictions: If any adults or scouts have dietary restrictions please let me know. We need to give the kitchen staff heads up. If you have specific food needs please email me. The kitchen always provides a vegetarian option at meals and they do not use nuts in the kitchen. The only nut product is the individually packaged peanut butter at the salad bar. We need to be aware the kids sometimes use this for fish bait.
2. Tent Buddies: The tents are provided by camp. They have a wooden platform with a canvas top. Two people per tent. Tent buddies have been assigned and emailed to you. You can see this list under the members only tab. If the need arises we can switch tent buddies half-way through camp. This will only be done with adult approval. We encourage scouts to choose a different nighttime buddy from their daytime buddy.
3. Emergency Contact Info: Please review the emergency contact document under the members only tab. This contains emergency contact info and medical/allergy alerts. All adults attending camp will have a copy. This includes info for both the scouts and the adults attending Wente. This serves as a quick reference in addition to the medical forms that have more detailed information.
4. Firearm Permission Slip: Scouts must turn in 4 copies of the Firearm Permission Slip.
5. Medical Release: Scouts must turn in parts A, B, B, C of the scout medical form. Camp Wente is very strict about having all required boxes checked and signatures present. They will not allow scouts to participate in program activities or even enter the campsite until all issues on the medical form are resolved.
6. Concerns: Please let me know if you have any concerns regarding your child. It is helpful if I know what to be on the lookout for. I will be discreet about this information if it is sensitive. Bedwetting, homesickness, social concerns or issues with friends, anxiety…. All of these things can impact a child’s camp experience. If you are worried about something, let me know.
General Camp Information
Here is a link to the 2017 Camp Wente Leader Handbook.
Buddy System: Scouts must be with a buddy at all times. We will have a buddy board at our camp site where scouts sign out where they are going and who they are with.
Water Bottle/Hydration Pack: Scouts must carry a filled water bottle. They will not be allowed in the different program areas without water. Please label their bottle.
Spending Money: There is a small general store at camp. They sell cold drinks, snacks and candy, souvenirs, toiletries and miscellaneous camping supplies. Your scout will want to visit there every day! In addition food and souvenirs your scout may want to purchase ammunition for the rifle range or shotgun range or a trail ride. We recommend $50 - $100 in spending money. Please talk with your scout about how to spend their money and how to keep track of their money.
Trail Rides: Here are the trail rides. All are an additional $25 except the overnight which is $40. These fill up. It would be better to register for these now rather than wait until arriving at camp.
Shotgun/Rifle Ranges: There are a few open range times when scouts may want to try/practice their skills. They must pay for their ammunition/targets to do this. This does not have to be done prior to camp. The cost is$.50 per target/5 shots for rifle and $.50 per pigeon/1 shot for shotgun.
Swimming Requirements: As soon as we arrive at camp, there is a swim test. If a scout plans to take the Swimming merit badge class at Wente, they MUST pass the swim test the first time as soon as we arrive at camp. So, practice your swimming and get in shape. The test is 75 yards in a forward stroke and 25 yards in an overhand backstroke followed by floating for 1 minute.
You may want to pack clothes for each day in a ziplock bag. It is helpful to separate clean from dirty.
Highlights and Additions to the packing list:
Here are a few last minute reminders,
This is our annual big camping trip. The boys get camping experience and earn merit badges on the shore of a beautiful lake.
Here are some things you should know about the Wente Class Schedule:
Wente Scout Reservation is a Nationally Acredited Boy Scout camp owned and opperated by the San Francisco Bay Area Council, Boy Scouts of America. Each year they host thousands of Scouts from all over the country. They have highly trained staff and offer at least 58 Merit Badges, with the possibility of more being anounced at camp, as well as many awards to earn and lots of activities to partake in that are just fun.
Troop 007 attends Camp Wente each summer where we earn badges, advance in rank and have a great time!
Choose your Merit Badge Class Schedule:
Some of the information for this camp, contains scout names and has been posted on a member's only page: Wente (members only). You must be logged in as a member of Troop 007 to see this page.
Finney Valley Awards: There is a different award you can earn every year at Camp Wente. Most Scouts and adults in our Troop probably get more than half way to earning them without even knowing it. Find out more about them here.